Monday, May 17, 2010

ROBIN HOOD

Review: Robin Hood (2010)
4 stars (out of 5)
By R. Kurt Osenlund

I'm deeply invested in the Robin Hood legend. Three of the more than 30 films that have featured the famous bandit – “The Adventures of Robin Hood” with Errol Flynn, Disney's foxy animated classic, and the 1991 Kevin Costner flick, “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves” – were staples of my youth. As a boy, I made arrows from twigs and turned my parents' backyard into my very own Sherwood Forest. I amassed a collection of Robin Hood books and even dressed up as Robin Hood for Halloween – twice. So I think I'm as qualified as anyone to complain that Ridley Scott's “Robin Hood,” an ambitiously epic origin story, abandons the saga's comfy hallmarks, lacking a single scuffle with the Sheriff of Nottingham, killing off King Richard the Lionheart in the first act and – gasp! – boasting only one scene that depicts anything close to robbing from the rich and giving to the poor.


READ MORE

No comments: